zaterdag 11 november 2006

So: my youngest brother got married today, and I have a new sister-in-law, Andrea. Congratulations, you two!

And it's Sint Maarten, but I'm not sure if my "break" is over. For a while there I was challenging myself to post every day, but then that NoBlaMoPaMaOpa started and I didn't want people to think I was doing that (why would I care if people thought that...) I love Sint Maarten, it's one of my favorites feasts. Sint Maarten was a soldier who gave away half of his cloak to a beggar he met in a snowstorm, outside the locked gates of the city. If Maarten had given his whole cloak away, he would have saved the beggar but lost his own life. So he shared, and they both survived. For me a big lesson, one I learn over and over -- don't give everything away, keep a part for yourself. I'm particularily guilty of this with my children -- I give them so much, every day -- my time, my attention, my energy -- that there's often nothing left for ME, say, after 6.00 PM. And then it all just falls apart.

I've been getting more sleep and that seems to help, too -- should really be in bed now but since the kids only fell asleep at 9.30 PM I'm hoping they'll sleep in a little extra tomorrow morning. (My children wake up every morning at 7.10 AM, and "sleeping in" for us is anything past, say, 8.30.) They had their first real Sint Maarten (going door to door, with their lanterns, singing songs -- a little like trick or treating) and it was, despite the rain, a big success. Instead of nightlights I let them leave their lanterns on in their bedroom. They could barely keep their eyes open, they were so tired, but those lanterns...

And 5 December plans are done! Well, mostly done. Have to order the Kapla yet. But at least I know we're going that route.

Okay, going to try and call Jai (he only has a cell phone, not sure if they have it with them :-)

5 opmerkingen:

Anoniem zei

Sanne, een mooi en waar inzicht: ook lief voor jezelf zijn. Geven kun je alleen maar als je ook wat te geven hebt. In tijden dat ik het 'zwaar' heb, probeer ik ook altijd wat beter voor mezelf te zorgen (niet altijd met evenveel succes trouwens): even naar de kapper, de Hema in en ook eens een leuk hemdje voor mezelf kopen, even rust met een kop koffie terwijl de kinderen het maar even moeten uitzoeken, dat soort dingen.

Lijkt me best goed als jij ook eens wat bewuster lief voor jezelf bent. Je bent volgens mij een van de liefste moeders die een kind zich maar kan wensen, maar op de schaal Lief-Voor-Jezelf-Zijn, kun je inderdaad nog wel een puntje (of 2) hoger scoren!

Go Girl!

Kapla is trouwens erg gaaf! Isa heeft dat op school.

Anoniem zei

Hoi!
Wat is kapla???
Wat is NoBlaMoPaMaOpa ???

Gefeliciteerd met je schoonzus. Jammer dat je niet bij de bruiloft kunt zijn, of hoe ervaar je dat? Ben je aan het leven hier zo gewend en is dit echt jouw leven? Of voel je je toch gesplitst?

Goed dat je van plan bent meer eigen tijd te nemen! Als je al in de buurt van je kinderen bent, dan is het toch fijn voor je kinderen (al lees je een boek voor jezelf, of voor jezelf knutselen/scrappen zoals Jolanda en de kinderen knutselend in je nabijheid: twee vliegen in 1 klap! Oftewel: iedereen fijn bezig. (nou ja, daar werken kinderen natuurlijk lang niet altijd aan mee, maar proberen kan altijd).

Groetjes Angelique

Susan zei

Kapla is een afkorting van "Kabouter Plankjes" -- het zijn sukjes hout waarmee je de mooiste dingen kan bouwen. Met een doos plankjes krijg je een voorbeeldboek, maaar je kan natuurlijk je eigen creaties verzinnen. Erg goed voor de hand/oog fijne motoriek.

Het is niet goedkoop, maar het gaat ook niet stuk na een week of drie. Je kan ook je eigen plankjes maken -- vraag bij een parketbedrijf om restjes enzo. Die moet je dan zelf opschuren/bewerken -- maar dat is mij te veel werk (op korte termijn.)

Susan zei

En mijn leven, zonder de grote momenten van familie enzo -- ja, ik vind het erg jammer dat ik er niet bij was. Daar wen ik nooit aan, denk ik -- het gemis van de grote momenten. Ook omgekeerd -- dat mijn familie niet hier in NL is, bij dezelfde grote momenten.

Gelukkig is er internet, en digitale fotografie :-)

sandig zei

I remember feeling the way I think you are saying that you feel. I couldn't wait some days for Tim to get home... for him to just take over. Friends like you helped me get through. With this little note I am trying to share my cloak with you. I think of you often. Blessing to you and your beautiful family. Love the girls artwork!!! The move came back to me while looking at the pics of your move... I remember you mentioning it a little while back. You and me WE DID IT girl! :) Remeber putting the rug on the table - it looked so cool. I find I don't hang out with girlfriends as much as I used to. I don't know why. The tea just isn't as good without you here. I am happy for the new friends you have made there. You are a blessing girl! Don't forget it. To your children, your family, your friends,... to Eric. You make the world a better place.... but you can only give if you have a some time to take care of you. I wish I could buy you some flowers, make a bundt cake, get out the good tea cups and stop over.
Think of this as on line tea.

XO
Sandi