dinsdag 9 mei 2006

Memories Tuesday

In my last semester of high school, on the days when the school nurse wasn't present, I would go down to the front office after 5th period and say I wasn't "feeling so good" and if I could have the key to the nurse's office so I could lay down for a while. Then I'd grab a book out of my locker and spend the rest of the school day in there reading. The office had an army cot, with a grey, not too scratchy wool blanket and a clean white pillowcased pillow. Above the bed, high up on the wall, was a window that looked out over the soccer field -- I could hear the gym classes coming and going, just not see them. Outside the door the halls would fill up after every period and then after a few minutes fall silent again, and I could continue reading.

I had to be careful not to go too often in one week, or for a long period of time -- it was hard to be careful, because I loved those afternoons, needed them -- book after book, until winter became spring and graduation finally set me free.

2 opmerkingen:

Anoniem zei

Wow, that was a good plan!!! My last class of the day was Band, and my senior year I'd had it with clarinet, I used to pack up my clarinet before band hour was over and just walk out and go to the Art Room. My band instructor never said anything and my art Teacher would just nod hello when I walked in, that is as close as I ever got to skipping school..I like your scheme too! It sounds great!

Fleur zei

Wouw wat stoer dat je dat durfde! Mijn moeder werkte op mijn middelbare school. Dus als ik spijbelde dan wist mijn moeder dat meteen! Gelukkig had ik een verstandige moeder. En met het argument van mij dat als zij niet op school had gewerkt ze het ook niet had geweten, heb ik wel eens op vrijdag het allerlaatste uur (wiskunde in lokaal 0 18 van 3 uur tot 10 voor 4 terwijl de rest van de school al heeeeeeel lang geleden 'uit' was) gespijbeld.