dinsdag 6 februari 2007

Memories Tuesday

In the sandbox with my friend, a boy, when we were about 4, maybe 5. The sandbox outside the Syracuse apartment, so I wouldn't have been older than 5.

I've forgotten my friend's name, but not what I was doing that afternoon -- trying to talk him into leaning over the edge of the sandbox, far enough so that I could give him a shove and he'd lose his balance and fall face first into the sand.

Why I would want that, I have no idea. He was a good little friend and we played together all the time. Maybe it was that little bit of BAD that's in every kid, or the beginning of winner/loser struggles you find on every playground. Whatever it was, the leaning over wasn't happening -- he wasn't biting. No way was he going to lean over on his own -- so I decided I would show him how, give him an example of what I wanted. I set my tanned little knees on the edge of the sandbox, and felt the grains of sand under my palms, and leaned ever so slightly over --

And fell face first in the sand! Because he pushed me! There were instant tears, and a feeling, not of rage, but of utter indignation -- that he had beat me to it. That he had probably known all along what I was planning, and used it against me.

By the time the sun set we were side by side in the sandbox again -- I'd probably been sent back out after dinner, been told just to make friends again and get it over with. I remember that it was such a good feeling to not be mad at each other anymore. And also, that I wasn't ever going to let anyone get me like that again.

2 opmerkingen:

Anoniem zei

Wow wat een goed geheugen wat betreft gevoelens en gebeurtenissen heb jij! Fijn hoor en leuk om te lezen.

Paule zei

Wouw, wat een ijzeren geheugen!
Ik vind je memoriedagen altijd erg leuk om te lezen!