maandag 17 april 2006

Memories Monday

Easter Monday, 2006. Mirthe has been asking for weeks when she can learn to ride a bike without training wheels. Eric spends about an hour outside with her, then comes inside and hands the baton off to me. I go out and run behind her for half an hour, yelling GO MIRTHE and GREAT JOB but she still won't let go of my finger, she wobbles a few feet and then falls over. And cries and cries, her spring jacket is wet with tears. It's getting on toward 4:30 and I have to start making dinner. I tell her we'll take a break, she can watch a little TV and then when the soup's on we'll go back out.

She comes in with me, helps me start the soup and then sits down to draw. After a few minutes she comes over to me and shows me what she's drawn -- Mirthe on her bike, and me in my black coat, standing right behind her. It's one of the most beautiful drawings she's ever made -- not the greatest but certainly beautiful. I tell her how proud I am of her. She beams, the light coming out of her illuminates the whole kitchen. She gives me a fierce hug and goes and gets her bike out of the back yard and heads back out into the street. For the next two hours she practices and practices, and it goes wonderfully. It goes better than when we ran next to her, letting her hold onto to us, giving her a reason not to try it on her own.

Let her go. I need to remember that.

6 opmerkingen:

Fleur zei

Prachtig Sanne! Zo blij dat het goed gaat met Mirthe!

Francine zei

Soms weet jij de dingen die ik meemaak en voerdenk, beter te beschrijven dan ikzelf :).


enneh, GO MIRTHE! GO MIRTHE! GO MIRTHE! :)

Anoniem zei

Wij zijn ook met Noah aan het oefenen en ze kan het in principe wel maar durft nog niet echt. Althans durfde...
Vandaag pakte zij het kleine fietsje van ons buurjongetje die al vanaf zijn derde los kan fietsen en ging het zelf proberen. Wonder boven wonder fietste ze zo een 10 meter helemaal los!!!

Alleen toen stond er een stoep in de weg hihihihi.
Dus nu is het even genoeg, maar morgen gaat ze weer oefenen met Papa was de afspraak en dan mag Papa haar ook loslaten.

En het belangrijkste, Papa moet haar ook loslaten...want net als jij moeten ook wij onze kindjes los leren laten...ze worden groot.

Anoniem zei

Prachtig! Verhaal om te onthouden en de tekening maar goed bewaren.
Groetjes Tina

PS Goed gedaan Mirthe

Susan zei

Update: We borrowed a 12" bike today from Ottilie (Mirthe has a 16") and by the end of the day, just before bedtime, she could ride a bike! Now onto brakes and how to use them :-)

Thanks for the tip about the smaller bike (Deb and Corien and Mart!)

Anoniem zei

Erg lief verhaal! Ben beetje ontroerd!

(onze stand van zaken: Isa heeft niet meer willen fietsen na mijn laatste trotse verhaal....)